Pages

Monday 1 February 2016

Giving blood: Myth-busters

Last week I received an unexpected greetings card. It wasn’t because someone pranked me and changed my birthday on Facebook and neither was it from that creepy library guy from uni with the high pitched voice and bare feet (oh god). It was because, since I was 17, I have given blood ten times. Ten times I have voluntarily had someone stick a needle in my arm and drain me like a vampire. And at the risk of verging into Twilight territory, it isn’t as bad as you might think. There are all sorts of horror stories and misconceptions about blood donation that are, for the most part, completely unfounded.

Firstly, there is the rumour that when you give blood, you are more than likely to feel faint, vomit and pass out in dramatic, damsel in distress fashion. I can tell you from personal experience that this is pretty unlikely to happen. In all of my ten trips to the donation station, I have only seen this happen to two people, both of whom were very small people, who were probably on the verge of the 50kg weight limit and hadn’t had enough to eat and drink prior to arrival. I say this because there are certain questions and precautions that the nurses take when you arrive to ensure that you are fit and healthy to donate. In all likelihood, if you are over 55kg and in good health, you should be just fine. Luckily I am tall and strong as ox so I’ve always been ok, although I wouldn’t recommend vigorous yoga (it’s totally a thing) the next morning as it may cause you to almost pass out in the down dog position. It's all about initiative guys. In an effort to completely contradict myself, one time when I was feeling particularly zealous and initiative-free, I challenged my dad to a race to see who could give a pint the fastest, because why not. I won the race, because I am a pro.

A second glaring alarm bell for some people is the thought of the needle. Now this is one which I cannot dispel as I know that for a lot of people, needles scare the bejesus out of you, much like clowns, feet and standing on three consecutive drains does to me. And I totally get that one measly blog post from me is unlikely to be the catalyst for your decision to embrace the needle (in fairness that’s not something I would recommend – it’s pretty sharp). But what I can say is this. It really doesn’t hurt. It’s not like when you stand on Lego or give yourself a paper-cut. All it is is a small scratch and you don’t even have to look. It actually hurts more removing the super-glue plaster they make you put on afterwards that rips all of your arm hair out and leaves a week-long sticky residue in its wake. If ever there was an excuse to not give blood it’s that devil plaster (you should probably do something about that, NHS – it’s putting people off).


A third and final reason that I have heard people give and I have certainly done this is that you can’t fit it into your life. Now this is something I can completely relate to. In our busy lives, it can be difficult to fit in such a trivial thing such as giving blood. But what I have realised is that it’s really not such a big deal. You can only do it once every 16 weeks as a woman and every 12 weeks as a man and it takes about an hour of your time. That’s maximum five hours per year. I spend more time than that watching How I Met Your Mother in one sitting. And if I or one of my family members were in a car accident or god forbid got a spot of the Big C, I would be pretty thankful for the time someone dragged themselves away from Netflix.

I’m really sorry if this came over at all preachy, because that was not my aim at all, but I really am passionate about how important this is. It’s pretty scary that in the last year, the numbers of new people going out and giving blood fell by 40%. In total less than 4% of us give up some of our red stuff for the 1 in 4 people that will need it at some point in our lives.

Go on, you know you want to. They’ll even give you free biscuits and crisps afterwards which, I’m not sure if you know, don’t contain any calories. If that isn’t incentive enough to go, I don’t know what is.

No comments :

Post a Comment